Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pajama Mama

Standing outside the school's double doors, I watched my son's little blue backpack bob inside and get on line. The morning rush to school drop-off was complete. I wiped the sweat from my brow and began my walk back home when a parent in pajamas caught my eye. She hardly nodded at the crossing guard as her slippers scuffed across the street toward the school doors. Leopard print, button-up. There was no denying it - this woman rolled out of bed without a brush through her hair.

On one hand, I suppose she should be at the very least applauded for getting her kid to school on time.

On the other hand, what kind of an example is she setting for her child? Shouldn't we exhibit higher standards for ourselves as parents if we are going to ingrain them in our kids?

The "pajama mama" experience expressed a woman with lack of respect for herself. Oh, and downright laziness.

Is this a call for help? An attention-seeking behavior? Because the morning drop-off "pajama mama" look doesn't end there - it carries over into somehow being acceptable to go shopping in and arriving in at school pick-up... six hours later.

Don't get me wrong - I have woken on plenty a morning with t minus forty five minutes to get showered, dressed, etc, for the day in addition to getting my little ones eating breakfast and off to school on time. So do I excuse the "pajama mama" presentation? I do not. How far could you be from a change of clothes? A dresser away. A dresser away.  I am not saying you need to look your best at school drop-off, simply have respect for yourself, and lead by example. Would you really want your kids walking out of the house in their leopard print pajamas? If we were to jump into a time machine and fast forward to the day where the "pajama mama" offspring secures a job, will offspring roll out of bed slovenly showing up to work? Will offspring ever obtain that sought after promotion? Will offspring be completely confused and outraged when human resources has a talk with her about hygiene in the workplace?

Many have been offended by the growing number of "pajama mamas" out there, even banning them from stores, schools, and day cares in places like Little Hedgepeth Academy in Northeast Charlotte  http://www.thecharlottepost.com/index.php?src=news&refno=5123&category=Life
and the UK http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8526732/Schools-ban-parents-from-wearing-pyjamas-at-drop-off.html.

Lets put more than minimal effort into teaching our kids self respect, self discipline, and a groomed appearance. Lets change our clothes.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a mom of three daughters. My job of getting my kids ready every morning -- waking them up, getting them fed, getting them dressed, teeth brushed, making sure they have their lunch boxes, homework, and backpacks on all before leaving the house at eight thirty am -- is not an easy one.

    I'm not ashamed to admit that on occassion, I have been this "pajama mama", as you say. I work a full-time job while raising three daughters, keeping my house in order, and maintaining a wonderful relationship with my husband. Is it easy? Hell no.

    My kids are not embarrassed of me. They look up to me, whether I'm wearing leopard-print pajamas (yes, I have a pair) or an evening gown. Whether my hair is up in a messy bun from a rough night's sleep, or if I have raccoon eyes from having to work late the night before -- my girls look up to me. They tell me I'm pretty, even when I know I'm really not, because I'm in my sweats and sneakers.

    But my daughters don't see me as lazy. They know I have self respect. They know I am a confident woman, and my clothes don't define me. My daughters see me as a role model. A hardworking mother who gives them everything she's got.

    My girls are well-dressed, but if they weren't, would they be judged by others? Probably. It's sad. I'm sure people have looked at me, a "pajama mama", and thought, "Man, how lazy... couldn't even bother to get dressed this morning." But you know what? I don't care. I don't judge people by the way they dress, or how they look or talk, and I teach my children not to judge a book by its cover. They are friends with all kinds of kids in school. I'm proud of that. I'm proud because I know I'm raising them right.

    Is hygiene important? Of course. I shower. I brush my teeth and my hair and I don't smell like a farm animal. But wearing pajamas to drop-off? Yep, I do it, and I'm not ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have an admirable amount of self-confidence. Stay strong on your journey and thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete